Thursday, November 20, 2008

How Safe Is Your 50cc Scooter




How safe is your scooter really.
After a few weeks looking over and riding it, here are my thoughts.
On buying one check the nuts and bolts, sounds funny but it is true.
Found bolts where lose even as far as the throttle cable as well.
The bike only has 150k's on the clock, since new.
Ran like a dream when new but started to have starting issues, like there was no automatic choke there anymore.
Would also drop revs when slowing down, almost felt like it was starving for fuel.
Picked up a wrecked scooter, as you can see they fold up easy.
Good for taking on planes as luggage and yes before you ask, Road Rat had to take the bent one for a little ride. Small issue on bumpy ground, seems to bottom out.
Hit a little bit of a rise and both wheels were off the ground for some reason.
I had the job of dismantling it and a few things started to worry me.
The engine and wheel are one whole thing, held on by a bolt in the chassis.
It has a single tubed frame that goes from motor to the handle bars which as you see in the picture folds easy. They are like the ones you would get on a cheap push bike.
Chassis also bent in three places, but around the seat has two tubes and they had to be there for the shocks to bolt on too.
A pin fell off the bike and can't find where it had snapped off from.
Forks snapped no problems at all, for a bike that can get up to 50 km/h. It could be a death machine.
If you want to ride this on the road then take life insurance first.
You see young boys and girls riding these things at high speed down the road. All it takes is someone to open their car door.
Made by a country with a high safety standard (not).
Just my thoughts on these types of bikes, not the earlier models made by well known brands.
When scooters were stronger and could take a beating, but was also fun.
Oh.. Yes, sorry to my mates mum, I did do the donuts on your lawn.
Couldn't you see the smile on my dial, when I said it wasn't me.
Anyway, Road Rat signing off.
I think I have some lawn to reseed now.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    It is very useful content..I am looking for such type of content. Thanks for sharing.
    Mobility Scooters Australia

    ReplyDelete